Friday, September 2, 2011

VTS Practice Lesson 9/1/11

"Michael and James"
by Stephen Assael
  I am doing this lesson a week ahead of the assigned time because once the students arrive there will be no time to run this lesson with my peers. :)
   I am actually planning on doing VTS with an elementary group and a middle school group (using different images of course for each).  I decided however, to use the secondary image with my peers because I felt it was powerful and subtle, forcing them to really look deeply.  I am pleased with how it went.
     Question 1: Did your colleagues notice what you noticed about the painting?


    I was astounded at the amount of information which was seen and shared in this exercise.  The collective energy of even this small group was consuming, and I noticed, like Ive read in other blogs, it was hard for me to stay on the outside. I did though.  My colleagues noticed most of the things I did, and as the discussion evolved, noticed even more.  I found that as they noticed things and talked about what they thought was hapening, (what did you see to make you think that?) the interpretation would spurn further visual investigation to confirm or alter the initial interpretation.  Although my process was similair, the evolution of idea progressed much more rapidly as thoughts were woven into deeper meaning.

Question 2: Did they notice details or offer insights you had not considered?  How did you respond to these?


    My colleagues offered many insights similair to my intial insights,  as the discussion evolved, subtle differences emerged among a common theme.  One person would offer an insight and another would consider and then build off that, each insight inspring the next. (Imagine a lego house being constructed, each insight and thought a brick, locking into another, building off of each other and supporting a larger structure, or in this case, idea)
     Because I know these people well (we have all been working together for over ten years)  I began to notice how personal experience directly influenced their interpretation of what was happening in the painting.  For example, one of the women in the room in the past, lost a child.  The particular image depicts a child seemingly unwell. Her very first response was the child was dead, before even investigating the rest of the painting.  I noticed many statements which were as connected to personal experience as what was literally seen. Eric Jensen mentions this in his book. I too have spent a lot of time investigating perception as a combination of what is seen combined with experience.  I wanted to discuss this but was not certain it was protcol?  So I refrained and just guided them back to the painting.

Question 3: How did you feel about facilitating this discussion and what did you learn from the experience?


     Oddly enough, I was a little nervous, perhaps because I was following a structured lesson format as opposed to my intuitive way of teaching. I relaxed quickly though as the image was introduced and my peers jumped eagerly into investigating the image.  I learned that I imbue much of this sort of thinking already into my teaching. There has been a lot of positive affirmation for me in my reading and practice thus far.

Question 4: Were you surprised by anything related to this discussion?


     The aspect of the discussion I found most curious was the way personality and experience defined responses. Having done this discussion with adults, I found only some of them were curious beyond the first perception and willing to immediately consider the origins of why they thought something and thus consider something beyond.  However, as the discussion progressed, the curiosity of others was impetus enough for the more "fixed" thinkers to imagine (and look) beyond initial responses.  I am curious to know if this more fixed thinking is more present among adults, and what, if any, differences there will be in working with the elementary and the middle school aged student.
    In all, the excitement of looking at a piece of art (they were all non art teachers) seemed to really inspire them and they'll left the room wanting to know more about the painting.

Question 5: What would you like to work on in your next facilitation and how might you do that?


     Well, to start, I invite feedback in regards to how far beyond the three basic questions I should/can go? I anticipate that my middle school students will be well versed in this kind of exercise and will want to follow threads of conversation that arise from the initial questions. I want to allow them to follow those threads if they arise and then find a way to weave them into the tapestry of discussion surrounding the art work itself.  So I am wondering, as a facilitator, what my own role should be as a guide...Should I allow the exploration and then weave it back into the discussion with questions I deem appropriate for the task?  This is my impulse.
     I will also need to remember to slow the conversation down, the excitement was such that it was difficult to get them to slow down enough to rephrase etc...  I except my students will be a little more responsive than the adults to this....  :)

     Feedback from the lesson was positive.  They all asked to be included in any other exercise I might need them to do.  Having  a few moments to sit and investigate a piece of art was refreshing and inspiring.
   

2 comments:

  1. First, let me say that you selected one of the most powerful images I have ever VTSed! It is surprising that a painting which appears, on the surface, to be so spare, is actually so rich in meaning and as a discussion piece. Perhaps it has much to do with the fact that the viewer is forced to examine it so closely to answer the VTS questions, searching for gesture, posture, gaze, nuance and always dependent upon what he or she has witnessed to give meaning to what is perceived. I must admit that I held my breath when you mentioned that one of the participants had experienced the loss of a child. I'm sure it made the exploration a profoundly personal one; I hope not one that was overwhelming for her.

    I suspect that VTS will provide lots of first-hand observations to help your research with regard to "perception as a combination of what is seen combined with experience." And I think it is completely acceptable to initiate a dialogue about this with your peers now that the discussion has ended. Teaching is so very metacognitive and as the reflective professional that you are, I am not surprising that you would want to pursue the topic. Pure VTS would ask you to focus on mining the image for possible narratives, interpretations, and evidence; reigning it back in from side journeys. There are no prohibitions, however, against discussing what occurred after the main discussion has ended. Such dialogue holds so much promise for opening up new lines of collaborative inquiry.

    How far beyond the questions can you go? Well, the teacher in me (and clearly, in you) says don't quell curiosity or the potential for expanded and authentic discussion when they occur. What you might do to stay "true" to the method, at least for the duration of this class, is to acknowlege the inquiry threads to the group, jot them down as topics to revist after the actual VTS session has concluded, and then reign it back in to focus on the VTS process. You won't have lost the opportunity for enrichment or continued discussion/debate, but will be able to focus on VTS and avoid complicating your data. In my own teaching, I use VTS and what I call "VTesque." Both are extremely valuable. At the end of the day (and the semester), you will be the one to determine how the true and the "esque" can enrich the learning of your students.

    WOW! You've given me lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting research questions you have defined already.
    You could ask "How does the lens of person experience impact the interpretation and viewing experience?
    Also you asked about the aesthetic development of your viewers when you wrote:" the curiosity of others was impetus enough for the more "fixed" thinkers to imagine (and look) beyond initial responses. I am curious to know if this more fixed thinking is more present among adults, and what, if any, differences there will be in working with the elementary and the middle school aged student.

    The very fact that the teachers were so engaged and curious is a testament to your initial experience:" In all, the excitement of looking at a piece of art (they were all non art teachers) seemed to really inspire them and they'll left the room wanting to know more about the painting."

    ReplyDelete