What have I learned about my individual students to date? Having known most of them for so long, it is a rare treat to get more subtle and personal details through this process.
The kinds of things I am learning about them are intimate, such as the details of a room in their house, an experience with an Aunt or Uncle. Even what Morgan shared about his grandmothers dilapidated home. I am often charmed buy the personal associations they make with the images I show them and it certainly confirms my personal theory that there is no absolute truth, our world is formed through our experience of it and our reactions to it.
I am also happy to report they refer to techniques we have worked with ourselves... or previous lessons and use appropriate language. They are listening!
As for the group dynamic, as with any group, certain kids tend to gravitate towards “like” kids. I already know this about them as the majority have been together for many years. What I enjoy about VTS is that it creates a level playing ground for everyone to participate, and no ones idea is “smarter” than another. Everyones idea is considered and respected.
As for what I am learning about myself through this process, well, I am being quietly reacquainted with art in a delightful way. I have been teaching for so long and get so involved and swept away with the kids and projects and making art, I have not always taken the time to sink into a piece and just really savor all its possibilities. This process reminds me that art can be a quiet place to reflect and ponder with out having to do anything more than see. n essences, its slowed me down, something I am grateful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment