Read and Reflect # 10
When
a student does not feel he has adequate knowledge or ability to express a
“felt” or intuited” idea, frustration or with draw occurs. It is not due to a lack of
intelligence, but a lack of comfortable skills to express these “Higher order
mental skills.”
VTS
is an excellent example of equipping a student with a tool to tackle higher
order mental skills. VTS helps
support the development of independent thinking by validating ideas of each student, there fore a student
might be less intimidated to offer suggestions or observations.
In
reading the behavioral patterns which point to deficits of higher-order mental
functions, almost all of them could be turned around through the lense of
vts. Again, I return to it as a
seed for so many additional benefits to the classroom…
A
phrase that also stuck out for me “Teaching for Thinking” ISNT THAT WHAT WERE
SUPPOSED TO BE DOING?????
The
thinking operations offered by Rath are fabulous. They seem obvious but as we all know, we get into routines
and such and like Wasserman stated, sometimes we think were doing things were
not really doing…
So,
in looking at them, I selected the ones I felt had the most connection to VTS
based on my own observations of my students experiences and my own.
Comparing; One way Comparing I believe
happens in VTS when listening happens, students listen and consider and compare
with their ideas and thinking and respond.
Interpreting:
This happens in looking at artwork no matter what, it’s the level and depth of
interpretation that VTS serves so beautifully.
Observing: Again,
a given, but through VTS students are invited to observe not only beyond their first
impression but also through the eyes and experiences of others.
Summarizing: This
happens as a result of interpretation and observing when looking at art. Students have to extract meaning and
summarize something big into the small world of words. (Disclaimer… words are
not small… its that “A picture is worth a thousand words” thing….)
Classifying… less clear on this, I suppose it
happens on subtle levels when students classify experiences through linking to
create meaning, but I do not believe they are aware of it and as a facilitator,
it would be a lot to keep an awareness of….
Suggesting
Hypotheses: I think this is happing because: Students suggest things all
the time, they see a frown and make suggestions (often based on some personal
experience) then VTS asks them to back up that hypotheses by explaining what
they see that makes them say that.
Imagining and
creating: This should be all teaching/learning.
Criticizing and
evaluating: Again, I believe VTS serves this operation, especially once a
student has some experience under his belt. The beauty in VTS is that it allows for scaffolding
for a lifetime… these skills are acquired honed and developed along the way.
Designing projects
and investigations: Simply learning to investigate and be clear paves the
way for such things. I have
students who often ask me if the can do one thing or another, but when I ask
them why, if they cannot sit and have an intelligent dialogue with me about
their motivation and interest etc, then we start there. Designing a project is as much of the
project as the project itself. VTS
made a difference for many of my students in this way because rather that
asking “what do you see that makes you say this” I ask them to keep asking
“why” over and over and over until they get to the meat of the idea. Why is it important? What have you experienced that makes
you say that? Etc Its rather a bit like or big idea unit.
Identifying
assumptions; VTS is so GREAT for this. When students learn there are a million ways to see and
experience the world, they get underneath the ideas they think defines them and
start to open to possibility.
Applying new
principles in new situations:
I believe VTS gives students confidence to play out thoughts and ideas.
The group dynamic created in VTS creates a safe environment for this.
Gathering and
organizing data: As humans, are we not constantly doing this anyway? As
artists, even more so, VTS gives an organized yet open structure to explore
data, re-arrange it and then rearrange it again, in a safe group environment.
Coding to become
aware of certain patterns of thinking…. HMMM Not entirely sure what is
meant by coding. I do believe
patterns of thinking emerge in VTS and that’s where linking occurs.
No comments:
Post a Comment