CLASSROOM REFLECTION
– Teaching & Reaching the iKid
Attribute
|
Relevance
|
Classroom Application
|
Which attributes
are most important?
|
Why is this attribute relevant to
the art classroom/ art education?
|
What are ways I could teach to or
include this attribute in my classroom?
|
1. virtual interaction/relationship
|
While they may be global citizens, they often don’t know
the person standing right next to them,
|
Create collaborative projects where team work happens in real time with face to face
communication…
|
2.Experimentation/imagination
|
They see possibility in all things and do not judge easily
until the process has completed itself.
|
Open ended projects assignments which allow for creative
freedom
|
3.choice
|
Choice nurtures ownership and investment
|
Multiple solutions to a problem/ choices about media and even
idea.
|
4. instant gratification
|
Sometimes students are not willing to stick with the
discomfort and frustration to see the creative process through.
|
Create projects which allow for multiple layers of
“gratification” as the PROCESS progresses. Each building on the next.
|
5. plugged in constantly.
|
I personally see this as a problem.
|
Un plug them….
|
EVERYTHING comes from something else. For me its about intention. Creativity in general, in its purest form, to me is the free exploration of that inspiration. The purpose of that inspiration is not exploitation. How can one person OWN an idea. Its a bit like the native Americans perception of land ownership...
Creativity is inherently communal. Nothing happens in a void (well maybe except for the big bang..... And isn't that an idea as well?). We all are a part of it we are all free to dip into the creativity pool and glean from it what we will and contribute our own unique perspective. Like the movie sorta is. Brilliant! Love the big idea behind this.
Fascinating! I had not thought of this before, writer quote and site all the time but now with the advent of technology barreling through our youth, they are making films and music like never before, even digital art, taking one image and altering it to use another. Citing should be fine. But what about collage? I am constantly cutting images photographed by someone by the thousands, cutting them altering them and re assembling. Is this a violation of copy right law?
Creative culture... Conscious creative culture.
The concept that ideas can be property is preposterous. Nothing exists in a void and again it comes back to underlying motivation... Greed.
Wait a minute, based on copy right... Is movement copy righted? A particular pirouette? The box step? No one could dance anymore.
I loved this film and it simultaneously made me furious, and nervous. I would love to show this to my students but they are only middle school and they are from a small town at that.... Too much profanity :( The ideas behind it however.... Will bubble up.
Three questions for classroom use (with my middle schoolers)
- Can an idea be property?
- What is the difference between copying one persons idea with a spin of your own on it, AND being inspired by someones work and responding.
- How do you feel when some one is inspired by your idea and uses it.
NET GEN:
The advent of the internet and technology has allowed me, as Gen X to flirt with the reality of the iKid. It has afforded me a freedom to surf the potentials as they do (if I dare) How else could an old fart like me pursue a PhD from a tiny town in Northern MI? I am in essence creating a healthy marriage of the old and the new.... Uniting the passion and potential of now with experience of then.
I agree that choice nurtures creativity. Choice implies investment and responsibility. Like Google and other more progressive employers, my school allows our students’ choice in their learning. As a teacher I choose what I teach and am often engaged in personal projects which relate and over lap with what my students might be doing. Its all connected and mutually inspiring.
I do believe personal relationships suffer in this ikid generation. As a mother and a teacher in a small town where relationships extend well beyond the classroom, I do observe that there is indeed a narcissistic side (different that prior generations).
I would love to see some photos of your tiny town.
ReplyDeleteI admire you for... "creating a healthy marriage of the old and the new.... Uniting the passion and potential of now with experience of then."