Saturday, September 15, 2012

A.T. Week 4Social Media Debate


What is your personal perspective on utilizing social networking sites (such as facebook) for education? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

I decided to weigh in prior to reading and then after for comparison sake.
I cant help but wonder at the power of social media.  It seems on one side, everyone and their brother uses it as an emotional purging dumping ground. A place to vent things which in my opinion are far too personal. It makes exhibitionists of many young people. Its a place where cyber bullying is prevalent, predators lurk and it is difficult to gage what people really mean. I see videos of kids "performing" things they should not really be putting up on a public site. It worries me that so many at such a young age are putting things about themselves online and its there forever.... I could go one but we all know this already.

On the other side.... I see glimpses of hope.  I have always told my students there is power in numbers.  Face book seems to be a place where numbers are eager and waiting to join a cause, like a link, etc. (Although I question if people really always know the deeper aspects of what they like)  After the terrible incidents in Libya/Middle East and continuing unrest due to the YouTube anti Muslim movie..... (another issue all together...ethical use of the Internet cross international boundaries....  hmmm  what about that..?..) Ive seen pop up on face book photos of Muslim people hold up signs of apology, and Americans doing the same.  (Which I HOPE are real)IT COULD be a powerful tool.... In my town Ive seen people organize benefits for others, reach out to a family with a lost pet.  There have been moments when a teen has been missing and with in an hour her picture is on Facebook and the community spreads the word and the person turns up.  Good things.

So can it be used as a educational too?  Maybe.  We have such a strong association with what Facebook has been and represents, I would be concerned that in a school setting, the temptation to "socialize" would be big. A certain consciousness is required, one that transcends the narcissistic tendencies of many of the users of Facebook. It is really a question of whether or not a group of students could maintain an ethic with in the constraint of a classroom.  (it might be interesting to use in s sociology class though.... or a psychology class???  LOLOL  there's a way to get unfriended.... ha ha ha)

OK... after I read, Ill write more.

Post Reading:

As I am reading, I am saddened and  surprised at the description of society portrayed for teens in the Brooks and Young chapter.  That is simply not the reality where I live.  But then I live in a small city.  That said, lets look at a statement on page 48 by danah m. boyd

"What does hanging out provide?  First, social and emotional reprieve-downtime as well as support and validation.  Second, potential introduction to new ideas and cultural artifacts.  Third and most importantly, hanging out is where youth learn to make sense of social norms, peer relations and status.  This is where culture is transmitted, interpreted and reproduced."

     Its absurd to me the main hang out for kids is online.  Its reinventing social norms, none of which include how to behave when you are with people.  Its all based on illusion.  It goes back to the connected yet disconnected theme.  Do we really want to buy into this ?  Maybe its cause I am older, I don't know.  It just seems to me that , YES, the way teachers teach needs to change, but jumping into technology head first feels very wrong to me.  It is our responsibility to make sure students get balance in their education. Are we really preparing them for an unknown future if they do not know how to learn any other way but electronically?  To me its akin to a 6 year old discovering a candy store and loving it and making up new candy's and only wanting candy, but as parents we know if that's all they eat it means bad news for health and so we persevere with vegetables and whole grains allowing candy if there is a balance.... 
Because kids are seemingly turning to social media for that need....  are we sure we want to further isolate them for interaction by diving deeper into a virtual world in education?  Let them hang out!

NOW, that said, I can see a private group being formed  (perhaps through Ning) to collaborate with a classroom far away.  Imagine if MySpace had remained a site for musicians and composers...I do see the benefit of such a sharing site... (I'm not a total kill joy here).  If there were strict guidelines...and elements described on page 53, Purpose, Focus, Collaboration and Moderated.  Nothing associated with "social"  . AND then with in the real time classroom, interaction is real too... THEN maybe I see a place. 

Yes... education my evolve from the dark ages.... but there are many many ways to do that, yes, technology is woven into it.... but it is only a part of it.  I revisit the idea that kids will get excited bout learning things IF they feel it has value in there life.  I think we need to becareful to think that just because they like the iPad, doesnt mean they like what they're learning on the Ipad.... 

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I am all for Balance and even though I am ready to embrace technology as a teaching tool, I will never rely in it as a sole resource and agree with your statement, "It is our responsibility to make sure students get balance in their education. Are we really preparing them for an unknown future if they do not know how to learn any other way but electronically? "

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I revisit the idea that kids will get excited bout learning things IF they feel it has value in there life. I think we need to becareful to think that just because they like the iPad, doesnt mean they like what they're learning on the Ipad.... "
    Your entire last paragraph says it all, but I love your point above that just because they enjoy using it doesn't mean they are learning from it! Your perspective from being from and teaching in a small town/school is how I feel as well being raised in a small town.Sadly teaching in a bigger city, a lot of my students do hangout online, unless it's an extra -curriculur activity.

    ReplyDelete