Tuesday, June 11, 2013

8740 STORY


Story:

Stories are how we remember. “Stories are for cover, facts are for real” (pg. 102)  I can not help but wonder how many facts are actually a result of a story...

“Story exists where high touch and high concept interact”” (pg.103)  In other words, story makes connections within itself AND reaches out to the reader ( listener, viewer etc) and involves them as well.  Story invites participation where facts are merely information which may or may not be personally connected to the person listening.  “The Hero’s” story is an interesting framework to consider story and its history.  As I read it, I actually did NOT recognize it... But of course, I was responding to content, not structure.  My limitation I suppose.  But as I sat an pondered this a little more, this structure echo’s all fine Literature indeed... With such massive variation, it was hard to pin that to the generic story of the hero.

I love the examples of the companies who are trading stories to train rather than instructing,  It feels very much like what is happening in Sharyn's class with the demonstrations.  As the artists demonstrate what it is they understand, they (we) imbue the sharing with the stories of our past experience and this keeps the attention of the people encountering the demo rather than them politely sitting through some monotone explanation of how to use materials.

Story illicit’s  LISTENING.   Not just hearing in one ear and out the other.  When we listen, we hear what is happening beneath the surface.  We connect.  We absorb. We relate. It supports healing, business, learning and the relationships that reside with in all of them.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you described story as reaching out to the reader/viewer. The thought that tales invite participation is one that, I believe, gets overlooked on a regular basis. I feel like most people assume story is there to serve while it begs reciprocation. You continued to support that by pointing out the soliciting of listening!

    ReplyDelete