Blog Topic #3
To initiate an art project, I decided to pull out “The Scream”. We began with the print and then moved into the painting, VTS’ing each one. (With some compare and contrast thrown in at the very end)
Students show clear evidence of Stage two, “constructive”(and a few beyond) thinkers. Yewanie points out students in this stage are able to think beyond themselves. An awareness that some one created it (qualifying descriptors). Responses to the two images were less list oriented and far more descriptive. Gesture, facial expressions, motion etc. were pointed out. Awareness of distance and the entire setting as a whole was observed. I had a sixth grader make the statement, “It looks like the whole print is moaning.” When asked what she saw that made her say this she said “The artist repeats the shape of the open mouth over and over again with lines in the back ground.” She and several others made also made statements on how color (when we looking at the second piece, the painting) really changed the mood. These statements inspired deeper looking on the less experienced viewers, thus broadening there aesthetic understanding, which, Housen points out, is one of the purposes of VTS.
What I didn’t find in the exercise (and assuming I am thinking correctly that many of my students are with in the stage two range) was the tendency for stage two viewers to dismiss the work if it does not fit into their perceptions of the natural world. “The Scream” is not a realistic portrayal of people places or events. Not one student seemed bothered or put off by this. In fact, they made comments in support of the artistic style.
I find structured interaction between peer’s works really well with the multi- aged grouping. Age, of course, is not a defining factor for what stage a student may be in. I have some eighth graders with less art experience than sixth grader’s, how ever, there is a difference in maturity and willingness to take risks. Often the older students will offer up thoughts and ideas with less hesitation about being “wrong”, so where they may offer something less sophisticated they spur the confidences of a viewer with more awareness but less confidence. So when looking at a group dynamic, it’s as much about someone with greater knowledge, as someone with the confidence to voice an idea in front of peers. This is especially true at the middle school level when things that can feel risky.
A note on listening. I have two sixth graders, interestingly enough both very much into art, who rarely offer insight with out solicitation., they seem lost in thought and require attention to stay involved. I find this curious as they are both very much into art and take a lot of art classes. In fact, one of the girls’ mother is an art teacher yet she seems the least engaged. Thoughts on that?
![]() |
| VTS Image 2 |
![]() |
| VTS Image 1 |


Wow! You've offered a rich commentary here. Let me be sure I respond to it thoroughly. First, I loved the student's comment that the entire work seems to be moaning; a very sensitive and insightful response! She must have an awesome art teacher! ;0)
ReplyDeleteYou may not see "the tendency for stage two viewers to dismiss the work if it does not fit into their perceptions of the natural world" with your group because of the abundant "eyes on canvas" experiences you routinely provide for them in your teaching. It's possible, too, that if there are less aesthetically developed students in the group, they may be withholding this sentiment because the majority is so accepting of the imagery. The only way to know would be to probe the question with independent writing. Sadly, brain activity itself is invisible!
As far as your two disengaged students go, are you sure they are truly disengaged or are they introverted ponderers? My mom used to say, "Still water runs deep." I would continue to solicit their comments; you might even tell the whole group before your next VTS session that you are very interested in EVERYONE's thinking; that agreements as well as disagreements are welcomed to enrich the discussion and add to the meaning of the work; that you will certainly give them think time, but that you want to hear from everyone and will call on them if they've been thinking quietly too long. That's just how I would handle it. Regardless of how you deal with their silence,, keep me posted. You might focus on these two students and see if, as VTS becomes more comfortable with the class, their responses (or lack there of) change in any way. I'll be curious to hear! GREAT job!
How do you do "structured interaction between peers" for VTS? I am trying to do VTS with high school students and they are not freely participating in discussion which makes it very difficult. Is "calling on" students allowed with VTS? Any comments or suggestions you can offer would be great.
ReplyDeleteHI Lindsey. I call on students all the time, encourage a response, any response. I can imagine high school students are more reserved when offering insight, are your students on the younger or older end of the spectrum? Where are you located? Im wondering if there would a be a piece more relevant to their lives... a modern photo or something, something they could identify with right away that might make talking about it easier. Create a segue to the aesthetic through a more personal identification of imagery? Definitely check in with Mary about it. I so wish we could all talk!
ReplyDelete