Blog #10
Assessing Engagement Learning:
· Describe student willingness to participate in the discussion. Has this changed over time? If so, how?
As of this most recent VTS, all students actively participated on their own with out my prompting.
· What did students notice about the featured artwork?
Students noticed the blank walls, the position of the man, his open eyes, the expression (or lack there of) the quilt, the hint of a watch or maybe blanket, the clothing, the condition of his body (looks like he is strong based on muscles) The color of his hair “He is probably older because his hair is white and it looks like he has a receding hairline”
· Did students list or interpret their observations? Are they offering evidence to support their interpretations without prompting?
Almost all the students offered evidence to support their interpretations. As the conversation evolved, some of the interpretations went off on tangents in which the interpretation was based loosely on only one thing and that inspired an entire story which had no other evidence. We talked how anything is possible but then I would bring it back to what we did see.
· Describe student interactions during the discussion. Are they linking their responses to those of others? Are they disagreeing respectfully? If so, how do liking & respectful disagreement impact the discussion? The group?
The students continue to link automatically, although I try to make it a point to reinforce this. I had one student in particular who “respectfully disagreed” (her words) often. The other students listened and I believe the disagreements are good fuel. They offer contrasting ideas and I believe my students are taking this in.
· What did students learn from this discussion?
My students continue to learn to be deeper thinkers and to wait before coming to a conclusion. They each noticed different things and even noticed things I did not see at first. They are always tickled when I mention I didn’t see that before.
I am also seeing them learn to appreciate each other more. They are picking up on how each of us offers certain insight because of our experience. They are getting to understand each other better.
Reflective Practice:
· How did the VTS discussion feel and what did you learn by facilitating this lesson with your students?
I again learned a lot about their own relationship with the world. How they tie their own experiences into the VTS process fascinates me.
I feel really good facilitating VTS. Its fun and the kids enjoy it too. I have found now that they are familiar with the process, they have a tendency to offer ALOT of insight all at once. As Mary noted in another post, I will need to limit each comment to one at a time to keep up. It is sometimes challenging to bring them back in when an idea takes hold... they all chime in.
· Were you able to use the questions and prescribed teacher behaviors comfortably? If you omitted or changed anything, what impact did it have on the discussion? Why do you think that occurred?
I am using the questions and teacher behaviors comfortably. I didn't omit anything.
· Were you able to scaffold vocabulary through paraphrasing? How might you reinforce this learning?
Yes, I do this on some level in most of my teaching and it seems to be naturally occurring here. What I need to remember to do it be aware of it all the time!
· Were there any surprises? How will these impact your practice moving forward?
There were no major surprises this time. They continue to grow with this process. They are always disappointed when I end the VTS, they could talk about a painting or art work the entire class period (most of them) Even the ones who get a little fidgety or appear disinterested, are really listening and jump right back in when I leas expect it.
Planning for the future:
· What do you want to work on as you plan for future VTS lessons?
As I work this process, I keep thinking of the various ways I can use VTS as a process not only for looking at artwork but thinking in general. I am currently trying to weave the process into the thinking the students must do when planning an art work.

Hi there!
ReplyDeleteYou write, "I am also seeing them learn to appreciate each other more. They are picking up on how each of us offers certain insight because of our experience. They are getting to understand each other better." I am so impressed with VTS for this reason and for the deep thinking it promotes. Both are so incredibly valuable and complement each other so well.
Amy, have you introduced any of the new questions into VTS? How is that going for you? I'm going to read some of your previous posts because I'm obviously having a hard time remembering.
If you mean by new questions, paraphrasing, yes (I think so anyway!!!) I find it challenging to be analytical and simultaneously involved in whats happening. I guess my third video will reveal my own progress! I have to go back and read this weeks assignment because I think I have not read an article I was supposed to yet! SO hard to keep it all straight!
ReplyDeleteI did the beginning of a fourth video where I am interviewing the kids about the VTS process.... I tried VTS'ing the VTS process ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Laughing at my antics aside, the kids said some really dear sweet and profound things, along with what you might expect. My point here was many of them recognized their own experiences influence what they say and that when they listen to others, it opens their eyes. Some even have started considering that they may jump to conclusions too rapidly in other circumstances, such as relationships.... pretty wild. Ill continue along with that project next week....
Check out page 42 of the VTS Basic Manual - wait, that is for grades 3-5. Maybe look under Lesson Plan 4 in your middle school version. The reason I asked about the new questions is because they're not coming so naturally for me. I was wondering how that process was going for you. I think I just need more practice.
ReplyDeleteHi Amber! I think I am doing alright with the paraphrasing and scaffolding. I tend to "think" like that anyway raising my two daughters.... always looking for clairity... "What I hear you saying is......" LOLOL Yes, practice. Im sure I need more too. What I sometimes struggle with is more bringing them back to what they do see after they have just rattled off a profound little story which has most its basis in experience, but was intitiated by only a small thing they see in the work.... "What else do you see in this painting that makes you think that?" Im wondering if there is a point where they notice multiple details and tie them together into a more complex story... Linking does this I know, but for an individual. Is the key here, group? Im babbleing.... LOLOL. Maybe we should skype. :)
ReplyDelete