Faith Ringgold, Picnic on the Grass... Alone, 1997
http://www.artincontext.org/image/image_main.aspx?id=4427
http://www.artincontext.org/image/image_main.aspx?id=4427
Why did you select this work of art?
Aside from it fitting the criteria for image selection, Timelessness, clear setting, colorful, familiar emotions, narrative, etc... I selected this image because it echos the criteria we are using in a current portrait project and I am hoping that it will inspire them t continuing developing their own work.
Why do you believe it is appropriate for your students, considering their age, stage, interests and abilities?
My students love the VTS process. They are starting to see how looking at work can enrich how they think about what they see, and some of them see how it can enrich their own work. Although I have a class where there is most definitely varying abilities, this piece is simple enough they can all connect, but complex enough that the students hopefully will respond in multiple ways.
In what way do you believe it will challenge your students?
Because the narrative aspects of this piece are subtle, the students will have to look deeply for meanings. Again, I am hoping to challenge their own ideas about their own work and how to communicate their own ideas.

Oooo! I love the image(and the artist!) Enough familiarity to be engaging; enough ambiguity to be rigorous! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
ReplyDelete