After watching my video three, I got a good giggle out of it. In general, I feel like I facilitate the process well and am very comfortable. I am glad the third video was more fouled on the students this time because I got to see things they were doing that I may have missed because Im so focused on what a student might be saying.
Over all, I feel I am doing a nice job at paraphrasing, linking and remaining neutral. Also, there were many times where the students, (who were now very comfortable with the process), were eager to say more and more and I had to stop them while affirming their contributions to make an opportunity for others.
I did notice I did not say often enough, "what else do you see happening?" I believe I miss opportunities when that happens because that question causes the students to pause and perhaps leave a topic they get stuck on to look for another. I saw several times that students would get fixated on a shape or a section of the painting and while they would offer a million fascinating ideas about it, it was difficult to move beyond that with out the question. That is whatI will make sure I do more of this term.
Great insights. Even though students might have fixated on sections or aspects of the painting, though, they all remained engaged and anxious to contribute. That means you were doing A LOT right! I agree with your idea that revisiting Question 1 in some form might help them move on to something else. Super!
ReplyDelete