“Overarching notions that reach beyond any particular discipline” (Introduction xiii)
I loved this sentence because it embodies something so critical for all teachers and is one of the stones in the foundation of my teaching...
I did not have any particular epiphanies while reading although many questions arose. I also had many moments where I thought to myself, “Well of course!” Or, “I love that!” I also had moments where I disagreed. I realize that Walkers writing in a more general vein, none the less, once again, I feel the atmosphere of my own school offers varying insights and opportunities that break with the norm.
Building a knowledge base.... Walker states “Students often fail to make the necessary connections between what they know and the art making task at hand because their knowledge is dormant or inert” (pg 39) I disagree. I believe it is more cultural in that kids are often considered “less than”” their adult counterparts and have few experiences where their knowledge base is worthy of important consideration and reflection. This is not to say the adult world does not value the ideas and views of its youth, but subtly, most adults dismiss children’s ideas as “children’s ideas’ therefor embedding in the collective psyche of our youth that their knowledge base is lacking. Students may also be motivated by a need to “do what the teacher wants” looking outside of themselves for the “right answer” Not all kids see themselves as a valid part of the process. Its is something that occurs outside of who they are.
I believe VTS helps facilitate confidence in personal opinion, idea and the experiences one brings to a project. When each students response and opinion are validated not only by peers but the adult in the room, the dynamic for creating also changes.
The questions posed on page 45, “What more can I say? Am I saying it better, more complexly, or just differently? What common threads am I finding? Are my ideas changing?” Have the beginning feel of VTS questions although most of them are yes or no answers and should be rephrased to open up more reflection. For instance, in the style of VTS, if we could get kids asking themselves some of the basic questions (whether a series or individual piece) What am I trying to say here? What is most important about my big idea? What other ways can I express it?
I agree with Walker that understanding the knowledge base of an artist is as (if not more) important than the actual pieces we share with the students. If humanizes the person and the process. I spend a lot of time with process in my classes as well as reflecting on personal connections and understanding where their ideas come from (are they actually their ideas or ideas they have inherited?).
Im wondering.... Can we VTS a BIG idea? Can we use the VTS format and use it to process an idea..... What an interesting process that might be for a student to put out their big idea and then have a class respond to questions such as “What does this statement mean to you”? “What have you experienced that makes you say that?”
Can we do this? What do you all think? Would you phrase it differently? Im I completely bonkers?
The depth of your reading of these chapters is profound and you have put forth some very "juicy" (in Kathy's words!) questions! The disagreement you cited with the material on page 39 is very insightful. (One potential research question I have is "What distinguishes child art from fine art created by "real artists and who makes that determination?" Klee and Picasso both regarded children's art as exemplary and with an expressive freedom and quality they envied, so I think you are right on! The low cultural expectations/regard and the child's tendencies to produce what they think the teacher wants that you discuss appear to be great inhibitors to child meaning-making in art. You can bet I will be pondering this discussion in coming days. THANKS!!!
ReplyDelete"Can we VTS a BIG IDEA?" What an intriguing concept! I would venture to say that your students under your direction could. You might consider that as your "angle" for the compare/contrast assignments or the peer critique...or both, with my blessing! Pursue this! I'd love to see where it leads!