Friday, December 16, 2011

Pre/Post Test

Observations



Morgan
    6th

Pre/Post
Andrea
     6th

Pre/Post
Emily
    8th

Pre/Post
Amanda
      8th

Pre/Post
Elli *
   7th

Pre/Post
Kameron*
       6th

Pre/Post

Word Count


73/62

 61/51

118/123

119/123

41/146

51/74
# Adjectives

7/6
 2/2
  6/8
   9/7
   2/5
  2/2
Conditional
Language


3/2

1/0

1/1

2/1

0/0

0/0
Assertions
w/o evidence


0/0

2/5

0/1

1/1

4/5

1/2
Assertions w/evidence

0/1
0/0
3/4
1/2

0/2
0/2
Revision/
Multiple Interpretations

0/0
0/0
2/0
3/3
0/0
0/0
Questioning

0/0
0/0
0/0
0/0
0/0
0/0
Visualizing
0/0
0/0
1/2
1/1
0/0
0/0
Making connections

0/0

0/0

0/0

0/1

0/0

0/1
Inference/
Predictions

0/0

0/0

0/1

0/0

0/1

1/1









     My pre and post tests were given 9/8/11 and 12/8/11. The post test was given on the final day of class for that trimester.  As a result, several students were not present, and others were eager to continue working on (finishing up) their projects. 
     In the data posted above, there are two students with asterisks by their name.  They were students who had completed their projects and therefore spent a noticeably longer time on this post test.  The data also reflects more progression while the others show regression or no progress.  I am sad that the timing of this test worked out as it did.  I believe that the results would have shown more progress only because I know my students well.  As their teacher, I did not feel it was fair to them to ask them to put off their own projects, for the sake of mine. I will plan more efficiently next time
     In spite of the challenges of the posttest, one of the things I noticed about the narratives (whether shorter or longer) is that there was more of a tendency to make predictions.  I believe they felt they could write like this as a result of the group discussions.
     In general, my limited experience with VTS thus far leads me to believe that Stage one and Stage two viewers benefit greatly from the dynamic of group discussion.  The collective mind (so to speak) inspires and stimulates ideas and thoughts that might otherwise not occur in a single written narrative.  Students, while in discussion, listen and respond to one another in an open manner.  All aspects of VTS are present in the discussion, creating a multitude of possibility, which then inspires deeper thinking, seeing and listening.  When responding individually, a student has only his or her own experience to work with.
     I believe one of the things the individual stage one or two learner needs to do is give themselves permission to sink into a work of art (or an idea or what ever context is being presented)  It is clear to me that a time constraint or other obligation pulling at them, did not create the space for that process to unfold.
    I would be curious to present a work of art, and using the VTS questions, frame it more like a conversation.  The integrity of the process its foundation, while imbuing the process with a different dynamic.  Conversation with each other seemed to inspire so much thought, what if they had a conversation with the painting but used the same structure?  Hmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment