Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Blog Topc 4 VTS II


Thoughts and Reflections
     After reading Walkers chapter 6, I had a million thoughts on sequence and its relationship to series and how interchangeable the concepts can be while aspects related to learning must maintain a more linear sequential momentum.
      Its rather like a solar system.  The big idea is the sun.  As the planet (student) travels its predetermined path (sequence) around the sun, many other astral bodies  encounter it along the way (series)  the series inter relates to the sequence and depending where the planet is in its orbit around the sun, determines the impact it has ...  Does this make sense? I see it so clearly... (linear sequencing with multi dimensional aspects)
      If all my students are a bit like planets, orbiting around a big idea, it stands to reason some will orbit faster and others at a slower pace.  Neither is better than the other, simply the students pace in contemplating the big idea.
      The sequence of ideas, skills and boundaries around the big idea create a safety net, allowing for varying degrees of guaranteed success.  These are the building blocks and spring boards for further personal development of the big idea.
      For my upcoming Big Idea unit,the images which I will introduce will serve several purposes.  As I mentioned earlier, I was contemplating the idea of introducing a series of images at the same time....  I was wondering if in introducing a series of images (say by one artist around a big idea) the the conversation might lead to discoveries in the way imagery and materials are worked with over time. I would love to see a students interpretations....... still contemplating this,. Still hoping for thoughts?
      Because the idea of “Personal Mythology” can span a great deal of time (as it relates to the students life and experience), the concepts will be sequenced.  The images will work in with the sequence of concepts, however independently could be a series.  The nature of mixed media/collage/visual book etc invites exploration.   So in addition to themes with in the images, I am also considering the use of media and artist choices when selecting my VTS images. Another route may be to pick a more traditional VTS image for the actual process and then a second one which may be used more didactically. I will know better when I see the group who signs up for this class.

2 comments:

  1. I love your solar system analogy! If I were good at computer graphics, I'd design a slide of it for the next VTS class (or perhaps you might if you are more computer-adept than I?)

    You are also becoming very intuitive about VTS! Yeah! I had originally designed the introductory image to be paired with a second that would not be "VTSed" but used more didactically.Can't remember why I nixed the idea. That is actually the strategy I used when introducing prints that were in our district print curriculum. I'd "hook" them with VTS, and then teach them about artist, period, genre, etc with the second. I was amazed how many of them would go back to the first image, then, and revise their thinking; way more meaningful and memorable when they correct themselves.

    As for presenting an image side by side, I wonder it might be good to VTS the first image. The next week, VTS the second image and then place it side by side with the first for commentary. Then, the third week, add a third image to the mix and VTS the trio and finally, add the fourth. That might scaffold their understanding of the comparisons you were wanting them to begin making without overwhelming them. Just a thought. Your kiddos didn't seem like they were too terribly "overwhelmable," though! Try it however you like and report back. This is an action research-based class. You'll be contributing to all of our knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL. Its funny, I keep having ideas or thoughts and then the next week or two they appear in the readings or assignments.

    I wish I were computer adept.... Too much screen timer makes my head spin. Doing a lovely rendered drawing.... thats more my speed. LOLOL

    Ill make a plan when I know what group of kids I have, Elective course grids go out in a few weeks and Ill have a good feel for the chemestry of the group. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete