Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blog #8 VTS to date


         To date, I have completed 4 VTS sessions.  This is fast and furious and I am pleased to say that when my students arrive, if they see the screen down, they gather their chairs and assemble around the screen eagerly waiting to see what I put up there.
         This 4th image I digressed from the routine and actually put an image of mine up.  It was the cover to my altered book and my solution to the problem which I assigned them as well (I work along with them on all assignments. This assignment was to illustrate your own personal mythical power through the use of collage) We used the traditional VTS questions and talked for some time about the image.  I was surprised at how formal they kept the process and I am wondering if my introduction put them off.  As I was talking about what we would do for this lesson, I told them we would look at an image which might be familiar to them, but they were not to blurt that out, simply observe and say what they saw happening in the picture like always.  I was curious to see what they would do.  They knew the theme of my cover was empathy.  Most of them knew it was mine right off the bat.
           The observations made were interesting and in spite of knowing what my theme was, they talked about it as if they didn't know.  Some observed things I intended and others saw things completely different.  We’re mid production of the show Alice in Wonderland, and funnily enough, many parallels were drawn between that show and my cover.  It likely gave them a reference for the surreal nature of my imagery.
       I chose to use my image this time because with in a few weeks we will be using theirs for some of the critiquing lessons and I wanted to show them its safe to use your own art work. It was a little scary even for me, but it all went well and I was over all pleased.
        VTS in general has proven to be a wonderful technique to look at art work, even when the pieces I select stray from the recommendations.  I think again it backs up my working theory that in introducing less literal images it forces the students to weave more story.
        I do find it somewhat frustrating sometimes when they get on a roll in  discussion, to sit back and not contribute....  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful report! I did a "Snoopy cheer" when you said, " I chose to use my image this time because with in a few weeks we will be using theirs for some of the critiquing lessons and I wanted to show them its safe to use your own art work." GREAT modeling and a choice that totally justifies any digression from VTS or course protocol! I have kind of a crazy idea that you might try to satisfy your desire to jump into the discussions. How about letting a facilitate a VTS discussion with you as one of the students? It would be a cool way to assess if they really "get" what's going on when you facilitate. VERy enlightening! Great post!

    ReplyDelete