In considering the first assignment for my Altered Books/Personal Mythology class, I needed an image that played with combining existing images to create meaning. The students are about to begin a cover image for their book. This cover image is to reflect some internal mythical ability they possess (based on who they are) that serves them and the community around them... This is to be created entirely with found magazine images. As I scoured the web for ideas, I came across the digital artist H. Kopp-Delaney.
Did this image meet the accessibility Criteria?
This image has all sorts of recognizable imagery arranged in a somewhat surreal composition. It was the arrangement of the images that evolved into an interesting conversation which got students thinking more abstractly than literally.
Did this image satisfy the captivation criteria?
Yes. I feel it did because the conversation went on for 26 minutes and would have continued if I had not elected to stop it. There was enough ambiguity that as the conversation progressed, more possibilities emerged, often with quiet gasps (of WOW!) from the other students at the new idea.
Did this image satisfy the expressive content criteria?
This is more subtle. Students had to really look carefully because the expressive content is more in the lighting, the use of color, the direction the central figure is looking etc. Comments making references to these qualities did emerge about mid way into the discussion as I employed that pesky third question.
Does the image suggest one or more possible narratives?
The artists big idea is mysticism (there is a series of images, and I will likely use another one) . So yes, I believe it was intended to elicit a narrative. The theme of mysticism also easily ties into mythology. Yes, the found narrative, although they had to work at it. They seem to do very well linking each others ideas and providing their own version of a common idea. However, a few of my more quiet ones sat for some time peering at the image and when they finally raised their hand to offer their ideas, the ideas were quite different, for instance, after exhausting the first interpretation which involved the figure either ascending or descending to/from heaven, with the corresponding images on the film maybe being memories, another student offered the that left image in the film might be actually a shot of the larger image itself being seen by the "angel" figure. The student noted the clouds and light and how it was similar to the larger whole image and perhaps this angel figure was watching the figure from the other side of the clouds. This "new" perspective then took off and students started to really look at the setting and use of color and see details they hadn't seen before.
Does the image address diversity?
The surreally quality of the image most denfineatly references a less familiar time or place, but the concrete images themselves make the image readable. It was interesting to me that the roll of film, although identified, didn't elicit a lot of commentary other than the idea of memories. Then it occurred to me that it is likely few of them have ever even used film as cameras these days are all digital.
I believe the image was sequenced appropriately in the unit. It essentially does what I am asking them to do, it illustrates a mystical/mythical narrative. Although, its surreal nature is likely pushing the VTS envelope a little bit, I believe that my students are capable of reading the imagery, and feel with this group, that although many are new to VTS, they can handle it. I believe the image is very appropriate.
I believe it was successful also because the students knew what their next assignment was (the cover of the book), therefore, when this image went up, they didn't seem surprised that is was not a literal representation of a story, rather an artist deliberately creating a narrative which would reflect a more "mythical" story. (I did not say this out loud to them though) I believe that as they grow more accustomed to reading imagery that depends on the relationship of one image placed next to another to create meaning, they will really be able to transfer this knowledge to the choices they make when working in their journals (or at least I hope so!, we will see). I say they because as the conversation went along, I noticed students looking at one image and considering its relationship with what it was next too to create a story. My implementing the third question more often was also helpful in achieving this.
I am certain it was an excellent image for a catalyst for their covers which they will start next Tuesday!

No comments:
Post a Comment