Unconscious Blog # 7
Hmm. The unconscious. The history of this as described by Bird is fascinating, the way Freud's theory tied into the artistic process as a way to process trauma makes complete sense. (the roots of Art Therapy maybe ???)I think really that artists' find the best therapy in their visual expression and may always have (unconsciously ha ha ha ha... or not).
I dont know that I agree completely with Freud's assessment that the unconscious is "a special region of the mind, shut off from the rest." Seems to me it would actually be flooded by the rest, especially when I think about the fantastic dreams I have (I am also a lucid dreamer). I Think that people are not accustom to being still and sinking into that unconscious place, that its there all the time manifesting experiences to get our attention, and with artists, often it makes appearances in their art.
I am also intrigued with the parallels made to "dreams". Although I suspect the dreaming Bird is referring too is sleep dreaming, I would suggest that "day dreaming" is just as powerful and an incredible conduit for ideas.
For my own art work, this is a treasure trove of imagery. I make sure that when I actually have a moment to sit, I pay quiet attention to where my mind goes. When I do that and stay out of the way, imagery and story will often weave an inspiring flash of insight which I can then make a quick sketch of or note about and use later to develop into a larger piece..
One way I use this with students is sometimes Ill have them sit quietly and doodle ideas...Letting them see what might "emerge" from the lines. Often a shape will emerge which reminds them of this or that or suddenly gives the "a great idea". It becomes an exercise in attention, knowing your inner self.
No comments:
Post a Comment