Monday, February 25, 2013

TST 2/22-3/1 Bird entries



BODY AS SURFACE

Ok...  Ive always wanted a tattoo..... A Redwood Tree which spans the length of my spine, the green extending into the shoulder blades, the roots sprouting from the small of my back growing around my rear end (this was when I was younger... Now, that would not be a pretty sight...)
Social status, group affiliation, ritual, what could be more powerful for art?  That said, I found it a little disturbing that and artist would physically alter herself to “reshape her features to resemble those in celebrated works of art, such as the forehead of the Mona Lisa.”  WHAT???? Good grief.... 
Seems to me that when someone is thinking about the body as a surface, intention is critical.  Motivation.  Some of this is permanent after all. This is not a medium to take lightly when it is permanence that is part of the equation.
         I have sometimes played with this idea (not permanence) but henna tattoos, painting tiny scenes on finger nails, etc.  None of this held significant meaning for me...  I grew up with the thought of tattoos being taboo so I didn't stray to far from it as a youth.
   Now, when I am drawing, although it is not really part of the finished product, part of the process for me is actually getting covered in charcoal dust.  After each drawing session, there are marks on my face, lines where I wiped away a hair or had an itch.  My arms, legs (clothes) are covered.  Its almost as if I am ritually coating myself as I draw... HA!  I sorta love that thought.
    Be fun to simultaneously develop a series of photographic portraits which document my face after each session... LOL

ANATOMY

“Getting under the skin”  hmmmmm

I remember vividly, reading with equal horror and fascination, the passages from “The Agony and the Ecstasy” Where Michaelagelo snuck out at night to dissect a human body (if I recall it was a homeless person who died??? Maybe Im making that up.)  I sat there inspired, wanting to know the human form that intimately, yet knowing I would NEVER survive an encounter such as that.  (I cant even have blood drawn with out passing out). Frankly, if I sit and stare too long at the Rembrandt painting I feel a little woozy.
I later solved my need to know by taking an anatomy and physiology course in undergrad, at lease going into depth in pictures was manageable, and I do believe was beneficial to my drawing of the human form.
      An interesting assignment along these lines to do with kids might be to show a contraption of some sort and have them draw how they think it works, draw the insides in action, then if possible, let them take it a part and see the real inner workings.... That would be an interesting lead in to figure work...


BODY AS MEDIUM

Not sure how I feel about this chapter.  I do wish at times Bird went more in depth to help readers appreciate the intentions behind certain things, such as the artist Marc Quinn. (which I may google later) .  I am intrigued yet disturbed by the macabre description of his work and do not understand his intention or thoughts behind it. It leaves me feeling disturbed and concerned for people who may be in his company....  (too many horror movies I guess, which, if I were to broaden my ideas about art, then maybe ICOULD appreciate this more... Hmmm))
    That said, I am familiar with some of the other artists work where the body became more of a tool, such as Richard Longs line, of course, its about far more than that, ritual, space, impact all sorts of larger themes are at work here.
    My own work... I suppose the finger prints left behind might fit here, but it is not choice. I honestly have to sit with this one longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment