Thursday, April 18, 2013

Art Capacities: Strengths

Well again, depending on the inspiration motivating the imagery, different strengths are called upon.  So allow me to use Concentration #2 for this response (because again, it is somewhat contextual, the capacities are like tools in a tool box and I pull out the ones I need as I work)

Concentration #2 "Transcendence" was particularly personal and dealt with some situations in my life that have left deep scars and pain.  To work through this piece required various strengths more like at a 10 level.   Developing a "Deep Sense of Purpose" was certainly at the heart of this piece.  Every mark mattered, every image has meaning.  Working on this piece often left me breathless as I surrendered myself to the process and allowed the buried content to find its way through my fingers.

To do this, "Embracing Stillness" was also a strength I called upon for this piece.  It is in stillness that otherwise quiet and buried content might peek out and show itself.  Show itself it did. It takes courage to rest in stillness because the things we hide from (or conversely should celebrate) often reside there.  It the strength I depend upon most of the time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment