Sunday, November 6, 2011

Blog #9


       I jumped the gun and did Video two several weeks ago. So with Mary's permission I am going to share some initial thoughts on having students think in VTS terms when designing and creating their own art work.
        Through out this class, as we have VTS’d art works, Ive made sure to tie them in with projects and ideas were working with in regards to the students current projects.    My students are in the process of creating a personal narrative piece.  The piece is a reflection of a worry or concern which weighs heavily on the minds and hearts of todays teens.  As students were doing idea sketches for their topics, I noticed a pattern amongst them.  Most ideas centered on a central figure with only minimal thought to the back ground.  So we then spent half a class period VTS’ing Isabella's chair.    Students were able to generate rich interpretations without the presence of any figures. (note VTS Midterm reflections) I stressed to them the importance of the entire composition they were designing and if a painting such as Isabella's chairs could generate so much story, what would they do with their own back grounds to support the idea they are working with and reinforce the message of the central figure? 

      This really got me thinking about the VTS process and I wondered what might happen if I asked them to think in a sort of reverse VTS way about their own ideas prior to beginning the final piece.
    I typed up a reflection sheet with the same three questions (slightly modified) we ask the students when guiding them through a VTS process. 
What do I want to show is happening in this art work?
What details will I include in the artwork to really show this idea?
What other things can I as/include to strengthen this idea?  
                                                                                               
   I passed the sheets out and asked them to take some time to consider these questions.  Some of the students really sat with the questions, others, eager to begin drawing raced through them.  I am not sure if Yewanine would agree, but those who raced through the sheet I sent back to slow down.
    Of the three questions, the one they had the most trouble with was the third.  I imagine this third question asks them to think beyond their first idea.  However for the few I prompted, they did go back and sincerely consider the question.
   The process frustrated some of my students.  I believe this is a good thing because by thinking this way, they had to have more than a feeling to go on, they had to have at least a loose plan. It forced them to take ownership for deeper thinking and planning.
     When I collected the sheets, I was touched by their honesty and just going though the process of filling them out helped me see more clearly how much weighs on their minds and the scope of their ideas.  Ideas such as too much homework, being too self critical all the way to being sad about growing up and leaving childhood behind, even death were the topics they were grappling with. 
     For example, Emily's Response’s
     1.What do I want to show is happening in this picture?; Sadness at leaving something behind, growing up and letting go of childhood.
What details will I include in the artwork to really show this idea? ; Picture of family in the eyes (is looking back, at her childhood as she is carried away from it)  Tears to show her sadness.
What other things can add/include to strengthen this idea?; Symbols of growing up along the walls of the tunnel she is going down.  Maybe drawings will become more sophisticated as they go on.                                             
       I was moved by each one, and after reading their sincere words, even more present to help them express these ideas as well as they could. The answers they recorded this time are a good beginning.  I think there would also be value in extending this beyond the written answer and have them do thumbnails for each of the questions.  It becomes a more elaborate puzzle, combining many ideas to create one powerful image...  Next time I will try this... I may also have them stop mid-way and answer the questions again.  One thing I did notice after thinking though the pieces this way, several students refrained from beginning right away because their ideas would evolve and change as they thought about it more.  I cant say for certain that it is a direct result of reverse VTS’ing, however, I have not observed this as often in the past.
     So often I notice students at the middle school age, brimming with profound ideas but then frustrated at their inability to express them the way they want too.  I believe if they experience their frustration in the planning stages, have appropriate guidance and support, they will feel more successful in their expression afterwards... (this is my theory anyway).  They will come to know that frustration as nothing more than artistic growing pangs....  

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the way that you have made VTS work for you in new and unexpected ways. I also like how you are including VTS into your classroom in more holistic ways. You are making some pretty deep and meaningful connections here. In addition, you're modeling these deeper connections for your students. When I VTS, the process feels very separate from my classroom curriculum. You have given me much to consider, Amy. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :). Yes, I was concerned about it feeling removed from the curriculum as well and thus set out to connect it right away. Our school really does a lot collaborative learning (subtly) across the board in the middle school grades. They see that writing doesn't just happen in writers works shop, math can be applied in all subjects, art can be applied in all subject, history science and so forth. (Im actually presenting on this tomorrow at a charter school conference). So this is yet another tool and as I get better with it will also apply its principles in my literature class and any other classes Im teaching each trimester.
    I actually prefer to reinvent the wheel now and again.... keeps things fresh. Thanks Amber, I always appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allow me to echo every word Amber posted in her comment! Or, as I'm working hard to get in the mind-set of a 6th grader, "What she said!"
    I will carry your writing prompt with me as I journey to VTS Part Two. I treasure the ability to glean these profound bits of knowledge from my classmates.
    As I attempt to focus more and more on Big Ideas, less and less on my curriculum (entirely elements and principles based - it gets worked in! ) I feel like I'm inventing the wheel every day. ;-) A little scary some days, but, as you say, it's keeping things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was your VTS presentation, Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLOL, if you mean the Charter School Conference, it went well. Again, what I experience as normal logical education, maybe isn't the norm. When Im around others, they have a hard time fathoming how our school does what it does. Its always a good reality check for me and a reminder that I am sooooo blessed to be working where I do.
    My presentation was not on VTS, it was... hmmm, I guess the best word, collaborative teaching and learning (which has a place for VTS). I also did a second presentation on the value of being unplugged. Although after this year, maybe Ill go back next year and do a presentation on VTS.....
    Thanks for Asking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this blog post and the resulting dialogue between the three of you represents exactly what I was hoping the blog interactions would look like when designing this course!

    Amy, I am very excited about how you are truly integrating VTS into your teaching. I particularly liked the idea of using the VTS questions as a formative as well as summative reflection strategy. GREAT post (and great comments from your colleagues!)

    ReplyDelete