SERIES
There is a difference between Series and Sequence, although a sequence is often a series of "something" a series is not necessarily a sequence. It depends on its purpose. The concept of narrative can be inserted here. Is the narrative a "sequential story", one event dependent on another, or a related idea, perhaps connected in other ways? Picasso's " Guernica" comes to mind when I think of a series which is also a sequence...
The intention originating in the idea of any series partially defines how the piece might be experienced. "The connecting concept bigger than any individual work" strikes a familiar cord for me. I tend to work with in this idea regardless of what medium I use. It is rare I have had the opportunity to see a whole body of my work in one place to fully feel the impact of the whole. (part of this is because I work large with some of my work). That said, although I am a proponent of a piece standing on its own regardless, the thought of a whole series up on display makes me smile.
When I think of series I associate that thought also with the passage of time. I probably have several series of drawings Ive done over the past 25 years which are a series's of series. The thread which connects them all is the material and the evolution of a specific image which has appeared and evolved in my work for more than half my life. What individuates the groups of "series" are the ideas and motivations behind each group, which again evolved organically as I grew as a human.
Another artist whose work I drool over is a mentor of mine. Each of his individual works is an exquisite universe in glass, yet, to see a collection of them in one place is awe inspiring. (Paul Stankard) On their own, they stand as individual pieces, together they create almost like a community. :)
As artists, an awareness of what were up to creates ties between idea and expression. When ideas evolve and grow as image emerges, the opportunity for series presents itself. ....
No comments:
Post a Comment