Post VTS process of the image:
After VTS’ing Faith Ringolds piece, I feel it was a perfect piece for my students. The discussion took off immediately with students begging to be called on. The image held their attention, offered enough information all of them could connect to it in some manner, and even pushed them to consider artist choices.
I believe the challenge was just right. There was enough mystery they could weave various stories, enough detail to introduce different thoughts ideas and interpretation, and enough good rapport between them to facilitate a lively discussion (just wait Mary... These guys are getting really comfortable)
They pretty much noticed everything, although they mentioned many times, the central figure, discussing her potential age and her circumstance. There was also a lot of discussion at to the area off in the distance with many interpretations, from a silhouette of a town, to a shadow from the trees to mountains, rocks and so on.
What intrigued them was the ethnicity of the central woman, and the ring in her hand. To be honest, a lot intrigued them, but they often came back to the woman.
What surprised me most was my group dynamic... They have all gotten so comfortable with this process and each other there was more silliness than usual (maybe the day before break too). The listening aspect got a little silly... Although they were very respectful (overall) when I would re direct them.
I use this image again. It is approachable and intriguing enough I had to stop the discussion after 35 minutes. :)
I know that everyone in this class has heard me say this same thing in one form or another, but WHAT OTHER CONTENT AREA TEACHER CAN CLAIM THAT THEY HAD TO STOP THE CONVERSATION AFTER 35 MINUTES? After watching the video several times, you are absolutely correct! This was a WONDERFUL image for your students and the silliness never stopped the discovery. Unbelievably wonderful!
ReplyDelete